Questionnaires to find about target audience
Predictions
My group opening scene will be male dominated in terms of characters; it is going to be a strong accurate representation of the male dominated world of espionage with scenes of violence. As a result of this I would say our target group will be males between the ages of 18 and 28.
After reading on about the Yorkie chocolate bar affect, I would also say young feminised rebellious females between the ages of 16 - 28 will also be interested in my groups opening scene, as they will be eager to explore male dominated media in order to liberate themselves of the invisible shackles of patriarchy.
I will be testing out the Yorkie chocolate bar theory amongst my class mates, to see if females will be drawn to forms of male dominated products. I will also carry out a questionnaire to confirm my first conclusion that male adults will also be interested in watching my groups male dominated opening scene. I will be using a questionnaire as a research method as it will enable me to extract quantitative data, which will me unearth trends and patterns amongst my sample group. I will also carry out some interviews some I have some form of qualitative research.
Testing Yorkie bar theory [reverse physiology]
Shows that five out of nine females picked the macho Yorkie chocolate bar advertised as not for girls. This shows that women are susceptible to manipulation via marketing, so having a product that is some what macho does not deter females from purchasing it, it almost makes them want it even more. So this removes the doubt of women being absent from my target audience, they are very much there.
Questionnaires results
1] Gender:
This is a question I asked so I could establish how many males and females answered my questionnaire. I purposely made the male and female sample groups the same as it would allow me to compare the data from both groups knowing that one group did not out number the other.
2] How old are you:
This shows the ages of the respondents. As you can see that my sample group is representative in terms of age, as the age of the participants within this questionnaire matches those of my target audience.
3] Which of the following aspects within a film do you rate the highest:
My questionnaire results show that the majority of males rated special effect as the most important aspect of a film. So to cater to this group we will try to include and large portion of mechanical and also visual effects. On the other hand, the majority of females selected the script as the most important aspect of a film, so we will also have to create a well-rounded and interesting script in order to satisfy this group.
4] Select two movie genres you enjoy the most:
My questionnaire results show that the majority of females and males enjoy the thriller genre, more surprisingly more females prefer the thriller genre than males. This is a good outcome for my group as we have thriller as out genre. So to make it a success we would have to place major emphasis on suspense and tension. This will be done in order to generate high levels of anticipation amongst the viewer which will give them the adrenaline rush they crave.
5] Your favourite way of watching films:
My questionnaire results show that the majority of the males selected downloading films as their chosen method of watching films. Although the majority of males selected that category more than 60% of females and 30% of males selected watching films at the cinema as their preferred method of watching films, this group outweighs the majority of males which make up just 50% of the males. This is something my group will have to take into consideration when it comes to distributing our final product to the audience. 

6] How often do you visit the cinema:
My questionnaire results show that the majority of females and males visit the cinema once a month. This is surprising when you take into consideration the rise in online streaming of films. This is something my group will have to take into consideration when it comes to distributing our final product to the audience.
7] Which movie would you watch:
My questionnaire results show that the majority of females and males would watch 'The Bourne Supremacy' out of the movies given as a choice. This shows that my target audience enjoy macho thriller movies. This is reassuring as my opening scene will be categorised as a thriller.
8] How much do you spend on a film on average:
My questionnaire results show that the majority of females and males spend more than 15 pounds on a single film. This means that we can set a high budget without the fear of endangering future profits. This will give us a lot of freedom for example we can set a bigger budget.
Interview results
I selected individuals at random for my interview. All of the interviewees are of the same age as my target audience, make my research some what representative.
Interview 1
Interviewer: Olumide Demehin
Interviewee: Jay [Male]
Interviewer: What is your favourite movie genre and tell me why.
Interviewee: I love films like the departed and the hunger games, I'm not sure of the genre of these films.
Interviewer: Those would be classed as thriller's. Again could you justify why you selected this genre as your favourite?
Interviewee: Well I like how the films keep you at the edge of yours seat because you don't know what's going to happen. Also I like violence in the films, it makes it allot more entertaining.
Interview 2
Interviewer: Olumide Demehin
Interviewee: Sue
Interviewer: What is your favourite movie genre and tell me why.
Interviewee: I would say my favourite genre for movies would be horror. I just like the fact that I don't know what is going to happen, and who is going to die. Also I like the gore and shock factor, I would class my self as a sadists so I kind of get pleasure off other peoples suffering. I don't know why but it what gets me off.
Conclusion
From my quantitative findings I have found that my initial target audience who consisted of just males, enjoy watching thrillers rich with special effects. This group is also willing to pay a lot for a single film, which is a positive as our budget no longer has to be small. Surprisingly I also found that females of the same age also enjoy watching thrillers, this has resulted me including females into my target group.
My qualitative research enabled me to find out why this particular group enjoys the movies they watch the most. I found that the interviewee's enjoy these because of the strong violence and suspense, this gives them a rush. Now after extracting quantitative and qualitative data, I now know what my target audience expect from groups opening scene. I now will try creating a thriller with a hint of violence that leaves the audience on the edge of their seat by creating tension and suspense.







